The Smithsonian Center for Learning and Digital Access (SCLDA)
uses all the Smithsonian offers to empower learners to explore their own interests and collaborate with others to bring ideas to life. We create models and methods that make the Smithsonian a learning laboratory for everyone.
- We provide extensive digital access to Smithsonian collections, programs, and learning resources to inspire the transmission and transformation of knowledge for the public good.
- We enable users to explore and expand their own interests and create their own learning experiences.
- We use strategic partnerships and innovative communication strategies and takes promising practices to scale to reach a larger audience.
- We strive for continuous improvement by the measurement of impact through data collection, analysis, and transparent reporting.
- We are committed to sharing innovations through rigorous open access digital research and publication.
SCLDA’s vision is to enable every learner to discover and use Smithsonian knowledge to achieve both personal and societal goals.
Smithsonian Learning Lab:
We are in the process of building the next generation of tools to make access to and the use of Smithsonian digital assets for learning easier.
The Smithsonian Learning Lab will be a web accessible digital platform (accessible through fixed and mobile web devices) that enables the discovery, by teachers and learners or all types, of millions of digital assets from the Smithsonian’s galleries, museums, libraries, and archives through faceted, targeted search, as well as joyful serendipity. It will be a place rich with research-based tools that aid its users in the customization of its contents for personalized learning. It too, we hope, will become a community of users, both within the Smithsonian and across the world, who collaborate, create, and share with each other new resources for learning.
Users of this new platform will: Discover, Adapt/Mashup, Create, and Share. To learn more about the Learning Lab and follow its development, visit the Smithsonian Learning Lab News Site.
Smithsonian Center for Learning and Digital Access
P.O. Box 37012, MRC 508
Washington, DC 20013-7012
Smithsonian Center for Learning and Digital Access Website Team:
This website is a collective effort by staff of the Smithsonian Center for Learning and Digital Access. Design and production were done by web firm AKQA.
Michelle Knovic Smith
Associate Director for Digital Media
Senior Digital Strategist
Toni M. Willis
Interactives Project Manager